Sunday 6 November 2011

A working Woman

I have been at my new job for a month now and have already learned so much. Due to the nature of my work I can't share to much because of confidentially. What I can say is that I am working with youth with mental health issues, behavioural issues, and or drug and alcohol issues. I work 24 shifts, now I am used to working weird hours as I have always worked shift work but these shifts have taken me a lot longer to get used to. I go to work at 9am and two days later I get off at 9am. Even tho I am at work for 24 hours at a time I get alot of down time, I am basically a house mom and do all the things you would at your own homes. Shop, groceries, cooking making it a home for the youths. What I love about my work is that I get alot of support, what is expected of me is clearly laid out for me and my employers have reasonable expectations, if my kiddo makes bad choices it's not a reflection of my work. Some of the problems with my work are the shifts themselves! I work days at a time, sleep alone try to do self care and relax while being on shift. I used to drive home after a 8 hr shift and pick a place on my route home, a landmark, and as I drove home I would allow myself to think about the day at work until that spot and then let it go so I would not be taking work home with me. I find it hard to let go and relax on my down time at this job because it feels like I am always at work. Instead of an office when I come onto shift I take over a bed room. My office/bed room consists of a bed, TV, desk, bathroom and closet. No computer and no Internet! Can you imagine no Internet at work, no maps to find a place or the ability to find events to keep the youth busy with.

1 comment:

  1. I miss seeing your posts!! I have tagged you in a post, I'd love it if you would participate. :) http://jessysjottedthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/05/eleven.html

    ReplyDelete